Mondays with Mariah

    I thought I'd post today about two of my favorite things...
    I am absolutely obsessed with this book, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Marquez is a Colombian author. He won the Nobel prize for literature in 1982. This book takes place in Coastal Columbia during the last century. It follows the life of Fermina Daza and the two men who love her. I am currently reading this book for the fourth time in a row. I am not in the habit of re-reading a book as soon as I finish it, but this time I feel compelled to read it again (and again and again.) It is extremely hard to describe the spell created by this book and the best way to describe it is to call it magical. Actually, Marquez's style of writing is called magical realism and he blends perfectly the every day occurrences of life with spiritual, mystical, and magical happenings that most people fail to notice. He has an unbelievable grasp on the emotions of love and this the best unconventional love story I have ever read. Something about this story really resonates with me, I haven't quite figured out what it is exactly yet, I guess that's why I keep reading it. It just seems like there's a lot of wisdom packed into it's 348 pages.


    Another one of my favorite authors is the children's author Roald Dahl. My kids are insane for his stories such as: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I also love the director Wes Anderson who's movies are on my top 10 list... The Royal Tenebaums, Life Aquatic, Rushmore, and the Darjeeling Limited. So, imagine my happiness when Wes Anderson adapted the story of the Fantastic Mr. Fox! Basically Dahl's short story has become the second act of the film and the first act and third act are all Anderson.
    I bought this movie for Vianne's birthday and we watched it last night. It is an absolute work of art. The characters are rich and flawed and lovable. The music is amazing and the sets are unbelievable. I am sure I'll have to watch this movie over and over to really appreciate the genius and the pain staking attention to detail that is required of stop animation films. Throw in George Clooney (my Hollywood boyfriend) as Mr Fox and it's a home run.
    Source URL: http://idiesse.blogspot.com/2010/03/mondays-with-mariah.html
    Visit Idiesse for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive