Memories & Family Traditions


    Interior Designer Sister Parish once said...

    "Even the simplest wicker basket can become priceless when it is loved and cared for through the generations of a family."



    As well as being a fashionable accessory to carry to the beach, a basket can be very useful as decoration in a beach house as shown above & below.




    Brisbane Artist Claire Stening's painting of a wicker basket.


    This is such a simple yet beautiful tradition to begin. I know one day I will have a barrage of wicker baskets to love which my mother has collected over the years. Ever since I can remember, she has carted her goods and chattels, groceries and clothing to and from our family beach house in wicker baskets - big and small, much to my fathers annoyance. He always insisted that they were such a pain to pack in the car.

    Always finding an excuse to use a basket my mother {during our childhood} was often seen traipsing down to the beach from the house with the three of us in tow, a beach umbrella under one arm and a wicker basket over the other arm filled with sunscreen, magazines, buckets and spades, towels, hats, drinks and enough spare change for when the ice cream man turned up.

    The life-long obsession my mother has had with baskets has rubbed off on me. Gosh, I hope Harry will be prepared for all the wicker baskets he will inherit one day...

    Image 1 - Elle Decor, Image 2 - Toast, Image 3 - Clair Stening
    Source URL: http://idiesse.blogspot.com/2009/03/memories-family-traditions.html
    Visit Idiesse for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive